Monday, November 5, 2007

Nailed with a meme

My wife's friend Anna nailed me with the following meme regarding books...

Total number of books:

Easily in excess of 1000.

Last book I read:

Currently I am reading both I Am Legend by Richard Matheson and Living to Tell the Tale by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The last completed was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

Last book I bought:

Technically, Kelly bought the Harry Potter...off hand, I would say Living to Tell the Tale.

5 Meaningful Books:

Let's see...five meaningful books, and I can't repeat anything Kelly had. Well that's just a nuisance considering I'm the one who introduced her to Matt Ruff, and I know I've read the book more times than she has. Since I can't use Fool on the Hill, guess I'll have to dig deep on this one -

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez. Read this for the first time in college. Absolutely brilliant.

The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien. Probably have read the trilogy (which I am counting as one book) close to two-dozen times. It never gets old. And if you're not impressed by a guy that has created a whole world, with history, different cultures, languages with gramatical structures, then you're just not worth my time.

Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke. Brilliant piece regarding mankind's evolution. One of a handful of books that I was exposed to in high school that had an impact on me.

Zorba the Greek - Nikos Kazantzakis. One of the other impact books from high school.

God Bless You Mr. Rosewater - Kurt Vonnegut. My favorite from an author from whom I have a hard time picking a favorite. In the writer's universe of dark satire, there's something I always found to be gentle and nostalgic about this book.


Not much into tagging others, so in my case, the meme stops here...

4 comments:

Suldog said...

"Rosewater" is also among my faves by Vonnegut. As with you, I'd have a hard time nailing it down to just one. I suppose if I were forced to choose, it would be "Breakfast Of Champions", but it would be mighty close.

Kelly said...

Damn it Kevin, those were good choices. I just couldn't think of any truly "meaningful" ones when I was doing it (outside of Fool on the Hill...)

alala said...

Huh. I didn't know about this blog. Some great stuff in here. I considered 100 Years and LOTR too.

Kevin Smith said...

Loved Breakfast, and I agree - if you're a Vonnegut fan, it's hard to nail down one, but I kind of narrowed it to Rosewater and BlueBeard (it really made me look at the art of the modern and post-modern era in a new light).

Kel - nyah, nyah.

Thanks, Anna. It would have been hard for me to keep those two books off my list - LOTR is really the first book I read that made me want to read more. 100 Years was probably among the most gratifying for me.