Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Geek-Osterone Was Overflowing

So, yesterday I went to the 2008 New York City Comic Con.

It was the first comic book convention I have been to in years. Honestly, I have never been to a convention anywhere near the size of this one. It was huge. It was chaotic. It was crowded. It was kind of a kick. And yes, that is a storm trooper on a NYC street off to the right there.

The floor where the vendors sat was a bit of a pain due to the crowds, but the people-watching was fascinating. All sorts of fans dressed as everything from Alice in Resident Evil: Apocalypse, to the Alan Scott (Golden Age) Green Lantern. On a side note - someone who is 50 pounds overweight should not dress in spandex - not a shot at the man dressed as Alan Scott who was actually in very good shape.

While there I picked up a few items for the family - stuffed animal for Calliope, a Supergirl and a J'onn J'onz action figure, and a Bizarro tee for my wife. Me? I got a bunch of my old Silver Age comics signed by the likes of comic-book legends Dick Ayers, Joe Sinnott, and Ramona Fradon.

Next time I go to one of these things, however, I think I'll spend more time at some of the panel discussions. I attended the Grant Morrison panel this time with my brother-in-law and old high school friend Rachel. The man was absolutely fascinating.

While there, because I don't make it up to the Big Apple as often as I really should, I made a brief visit to Zabars. This morning I noshed on proper New York bagels with whitefish salad.

Tonight I eat Klingon food.

Coming this week, the top 100 comedies, reworked.

1 comment:

PunchBuggyBlues said...

Let us not forget the image of a grown man in the Robin costume that you luckily did not see that has burned it's way into my retinas forever.