Sunday, May 20, 2007

That link to the right...

For Comic Collector Live takes you to free software with which to catalog your collection. Currently the free version that is available is a beta testing version and it's not bad. It needs work, but not bad. As far as free software goes, I would recommend it. For the most part it is easy to use and it allows me to track my purchases.

I have cataloged somewhere between a quarter and a third of my entire collection (I'm guessing), which currently has me at just under 800 books, and here are the issues I have come across -

What's in the database -
  • Occassional missing titles (rare).
  • Some titles not completely updates (rare).
  • Occassional variation in the cover title v. the database title (rare).

How the database works -
  • You can only sort on issue number within the data entry interface.
  • It does not link to a price-guide, so it is up to the owner to update collector worth - not a bad thing, as it also forces the owner to grade the comic book. Still, I can't deny that it would be nice to have the automatic update.
  • There are currently only two reports that coalate any sort of data from the database - a summary that outlines cover value, price paid, and resale value (if you grade and update the comics in your database), and an overall report that provides title, price paid, grade, etc.
  • Unfortunately, you cannot currently sort by grade or price. Hopefully that will be dealt with in the next version.
  • Based on some studies of CGC rated comics I have come across, the rating software, which asks 12 questions, is a tougher grader than the guys at CGC - nothing wrong with that either as it is better to err on the side of caution when grading, than to overestimate a book's worth.
In spite of many of the issues, it has been nice to be able to catalog my books. I recently finished grading most of my Silver Age and early Bronze Age comics (I still have to catalog my Vampirella's) and it was very illuminating (especially since I look for the cheapies, and some of the books I paid $2.00 for could be worth $50.00 or $60.00).

Like I said, the database software is not without problems, but I have found it to be useful and I do recommend the program for anyone who doesn't want to spend gobs of money on some of the other software out there. Also, looking for an online price guide? I have a link to the right.

No comments: