Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A quick note on FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer

I don't know yet whether or not I will go to see this film. I have only seen parts of the first Fantastic Four film and didn't think a whole lot of what I saw. I am, however a Silver Surfer geek. I have several issues of of the original series published in the 1960's as well as a number of the one-shot specials, etc. (although the series that was published during the 1990's wasn't nearly as well done as the original, so I have only a limited number of those issues).

All that aside, I wanted to mention that I feel that the Surfer looks good in the previews (I'm not saying anything about the movie, just the Surfer's appearance), and it's interesting to note that Doug Jones is playing the Marvel standby.

For those of you comic geeks who are unfamiliar with Jones, trust me, you have seen him before. Jones is a veteran of the comic book film adaptation game having appeared in Batman Returns (1992), Tank Girl (1995), Mystery Men (1999), The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000), Men In Black II (2002), Hellboy (2004), and the upcoming Hellboy II (2008), not to mention other fantasy favorites such as the Hush episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer as one of the Gentlemen, and as both Pan and the Pale Man in Pan's Labyrinth.

You may not recognize Jones as he is often in monster make-up (in Hellboy he played Abe Sapien).

No comments: