Sunday, June 17, 2007

Movie Review: The Fountain

Okay, here I am chiming in with a movie review.

As the mom of a two year old with a simmering distain for rude movie-goers, I have gotten into the habit of waiting until things come out on DVD to watch them. This is remarkable, given a five year period when I saw virtually everything in the theater (I worked at a movie theater and saw things for free-those were the days).

So The Fountain. Have you ever had that feeling where you are feeling suicidal, but need that extra push to get you to actually "go through with it"? Then The Fountain is the movie for you! Let me tell you, it has the one thing you need-90 minutes of meditation on the inevitability of death.

I haven't even quite decided if I know what was going on in the film, let alone if I liked it. I can say that I am not sure if it works. Apparently I am not the only one. Scouring the Internet for other conversations on what exactly this film might be about, I could not find a consensus. And whether one loves it or hates it seems to be the main talking point-there is no middle ground.

It is definitely the type of film that could be dissected in a film class, but does not make for an enjoyable Saturday night flick. But if you are feeling particulary pensive and desire to drown in your sorrows or want to join in the discussion about this very strange film, Netflix it and brew yourself up a nice cup of tea, 'cause it'll be a long night.

No comments: