Monday, June 4, 2007

Battlestar Galactica going into its final season

Check out this report from The Hollywood Reporter. I guess that means that by the end of 2008, anyone who wants a Galactica fix will either have to watch in reruns, get the DVD's, or for new story lines, pick up the comic book unless the Caprica spin-off actually moves forward.

For my money, this has been the best show on television since it first aired as a mini-series. Even the weak episodes have been pretty good.

As for resorting to the comic book for new story lines, personally, I've never been fond of comic book adaptations. For the most part I have found that the writing never lives up to the original source material (and sometimes it works the other way...League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Constantine, I'm looking at you).

I don't know if it's just that the writers don't have all the nuances down, or if it's something else, but the adaptations just never seem to work.

As for the four years of Galactica? I would like to express my gratitude to the producers, directors, writers, and actors who have given life to what was a cheesy sci-fi show from my youth. I still can't believe that the one begot the other, but thanks all, it's been one hell of a ride and I'm looking forward to the final season. Just please, please find a way to make that season three ending work without it coming off as ridiculous (I know that each of the characters were having trouble sleeping, but none of them seemed so far gone that they should have been channeling Bob Dylan).

No comments: